The 2012-2013 season gets underway for Bethune-Cookman basketball on November 9 in St. Bonaventure against St. Bonaventure. The Wildcats are looking to match or perhaps beat last season's run. They return 61% of last season's minutes and will look to fill the gap with the output of only one incoming freshman.
The Bethune-Cookman defense will suffer from a 56.8% drop in blocked shots, the largest gap that the team will need to fill. That's followed by rebounding, where they lost 48.8% of last season's numbers.
Bethune-Cookman finished last year with an overall record of 15-16 and landed in 4th place in the MEAC with a conference record of 11-5. In postseason play, the Wildcats lost to Norfolk State 73-70 in the finals of the MEAC tournament. Bethune-Cookman lost last year's seniors Garrius Holloman (28 minutes per game), Stanley Elliott (25 MPG), and Anthony Breeze (25 MPG). The Wildcats will also go without Raymond McAfee (5 MPG) and David Baroum (1 MPG), who left the team.
The Wildcats get back senior Kevin Dukes (11.7 points/game), junior Adrien Coleman (1.4 steals/game), sophomore Ricky Johnson (2.4 assists/game), senior Jarvoris Bryant (6.8 points/game), and junior Mikel Trapp (2.9 points/game).
One incoming freshman joins the Wildcats, 6-7 Allan Dempster. The team also picks up 6-8 junior Myron Respress and 6-6 junior Malik Jackson. The first MEAC game for Bethune-Cookman will be on December 1st at Florida A&M.
Tags: Garrius Holloman
- Since 2002, Bethune-Cookman has an overall winning percentage of 43.1%. The Wildcats have been improving over the last 5 years with an overall winning percentage of 50.0%.
- The Wildcats have an average conference finish of 4.8 over the last 5 seasons. Over the past 16 the team has an average finish of 6.4.
- The average final RPI (last year) of opponents on this year's schedule is 225.0.
- This year's opponent with the highest RPI from last year is UCF (#52).
- This year's opponent with the lowest RPI from last year is South Carolina State (#343).
- The last time Bethune-Cookman returned more than 60% of the team's statistical production was 2010-2011.
, Stanley Elliott
, Anthony Breeze
, Raymond McAfee
, David Baroum
, Kevin Dukes
, Adrien Coleman
, Ricky Johnson
, Jarvoris Bryant
, Mikel Trapp
, Allan Dempster
, Myron Respress
, Malik Jackson